Monday 10 November 2014

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn



This book starts off on a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, where it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media, as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter - but is he really a killer?
 

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife?

I had heard so much about this book months ago and how good it was I couldn't wait to get it and start reading it but I really struggled to like this book. I'd read almost 200 pages and put it down as it was really beginning to annoy me and found it quite boring, I decided to pick it up again as the film had just been released and I was determined to finish it but I'm sorry that I bothered and just didn't go and see the film. I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn't, I didn't like any of the characters in the book and I didn't even like the ending of it, I thought it was SO unrealistic but other people may have a totally different opinion to me on this book but if you're looking for a dark, twisted thriller then this book is for you.  Also, on the cover of the book it states "There are two sides to every story..." but in fact there's actually always three sides to every story, his side, her side and the truth.  This is the first book I've read by Gillian Flynn and I would probably give her other novels Sharp Objects and Dark Places a go and really hope that they are MUCH better than Gone Girl.

This book is available on Kindle and in all good bookstores.

No comments :

Post a Comment