Friday 26 February 2016

Dead Eyed by Matt Brolly


DCI Michael Lambert thought he’d closed his last case until he’s passed a file detailing a particularly gruesome murder, Michael knows that this is no ordinary killer at work.  The gruesome removal of the victim’s eyes and the Latin inscription of "In occulis animus habitat" - the soul dwells in the eyes carved into the chest is the chilling calling-card of the ‘soul jacker’.  This is a cold-blooded murderer who struck close to Michael once before.  It's been eighteen years since the last murder so is it a copycat or has the original serial killer resurfaced??  Michael has been out of work on leave for two years, he's has his own issues and personal tragedy to deal with throughout the story too, his marriage is also crumbling.  Can he deal with all this amongst taking this case on to track down the serial killer or will he crumble as the body count increases??

This is Matt Brolly's debut novel and what a debut it was, it was brilliant, it had me gripped from the first few pages right through to the end, there were some great twists and turns too.  I didn't know who to trust or not to trust.  I thought I'd worked out who the 'soul jacker' was but I was completely wrong. I didn't just like it, I LOVED it, it was face paced and couldn't swipe the pages on my Kindle quick enough, it definitely didn't disappoint.  I have Matt's second book, Dead Lucky in my TBR pile and hopefully it won't be too long until I get to it and can get acquainted with DCI Michael Lambert again. 

I'd highly recommend this book if you're a fan of thriller/crime genre and if you're a fan of Angela Marsons, Tony Parsons and Lee Child then Dead Eyed is for you.


Dead Eyed is available on Kindle and is currently 99p at the time of publication of this review.

1 comment :

  1. I picked this one up at 99p but not got round to reading it yet. Must bump it up my reading list!

    ReplyDelete