Saturday 12 May 2018

REVIEW ~ Fierce Kingdom by Gin Phillips


Joan and her son Lincoln are on a trip to the zoo and it is coming near closing time, they decide to make their way back to the exit, this ordinary day at the zoo turns into a nightmare. As they are walking back Joan hears what she first thinks is either firecrackers or fireworks, it turns out to be gunfire and Joan finds herself trapped with her beloved son. Lincoln is a good little boy, he's four, is very curious, clever and well behaved. He does as his mum says and knows what the rules are until today. There are 2 people on the loose within the Zoo with guns.

'The rules are different today. The rules are that we hide and do not let the man with the gun find us.'

She must summon all her strength, find unexpected courage and protect Lincoln at all costs – even if it means crossing the line between right and wrong; between humanity and animal instinct. It's a line none of us would ever normally dream of crossing but sometimes the rules are different.

To be honest I didn't know what this book was about when I picked it up from the library which I think sometimes is better as when a book is hyped up to the max and then you get to read it, it can be a bit of a letdown but WOW!! What a book, it was just brilliant. It was clever, tense, thrilling with a terrifying scenario which let's face it could actually happen.  I don't have children but I've a nephew and I actually felt claustrophobic at times reading it and just imagining the fear and trying to think ahead of a strategy to outrun these gunmen and get to safety.  I could feel my heart beating out of me at times and loved Lincoln, very much reminded me of my nephew in ways with his curiousness of everything, clever and his love for action figures.  It's ironic that I'm posting this review only a few days after another shooting in a High School in Florida and when you read this you realise that a shooting can actually happen anywhere these days, even a Zoo is not safe.  I'm not going to say anymore about Fierce Kingdom other than just pick it up and read it.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Fierce Kingdom is available from all good bookstores, libraries and on Kindle where it is currently £0.99 at the time of publication of this review.

No comments :

Post a Comment